Monday, August 11, 2008

Bella Review

My apologies to everyone who has been waiting for an update, its not that i haven't seen any movies lately...its that I have learned about myself something very important, that is: my fingers (in subconscious conjunction with my mind) refuse to write reviews on shitty ass films. Therefore, I have to wait until an inspiring, cohesive, and what I feel and consider to be a COMPLETE work of art so happens to string its reel across my pupils. Believe me, I really can't deal with critiquing bad art...it just turns into a nasty biker-style bashing. Theres cursing involved, brass knuckles, and nobody wants to see that, right? Right. Honestly though, you wouldn't want me to write a review of...i don't know... Triple X anyway, right? Reading about crappy movies like that will only ruin you're afternoon, give me a light headache, but worst of all, give people like Vin Diesel unnecessary attention. Trust me, the last thing America needs is a sequel to 'The Pacifier'.

Great, moving along now, everyone should know that Best Buy has these 'Summer Sizzler' DVD sales where every once in awhile you can pick up a great movie for 3.99! (I hate that I'm technically plugging corporate assholes like Best Buy but) It's cheap, it's great, and if you get lucky like me, you could end up with a movie like 'Bella' for 4 bucks!! Not that this movie is worth for bucks, granted, it's worth much much more, and if we're speaking in terms of substance and moral standing, I would go as far as saying priceless.

Every once in awhile you'll get this one asshole who says 'watch where you step buddy, these shoes are priceless' Or that douche bag who insists his 1978 FireBird is priceless (Don't get me wrong, nice car, but fuck off) Truthfully, for each person there are only a very select number of items few, far and in between with enough personal emotional connection to honestly rever as being so significantly important and dear to us- so much so- we could actually honor it with the title priceless. I can respect some of these items, maybe a wedding ring past down from generation to generation, or a photograph...but in reality these are all still material objects, air loom or not. The actual value of the object I would think is rooted deep within the fibers of the emotion attached to it, usually a promise, or simply a memory enveloping the latter and/or usually much much more. Priceless is then defined as invaluable, because it cannot be bought or sold, and although we eventually come to distinguish this ourselves, by our own perceptions and beliefs, there are still, fundamentally certain things that will always be priceless. Life. For instance, is priceless.

That is Bella in its abridged form. It is you and I, it is the gift of being born. We didn't ask for this, but here we are. Born into this time and space, like everybody else. It is my opinion man should never have the right to deny life, as well as take. We are born into nature as nature intended, and by nature we should leave- at our time, and in our space.

So that's the general moral of the story in Bella, however, life obviously is never as simple as we expect it to be. The greatest quote of the movie comes early in the film, and reverberates a profound message throughout the rest of the movie: "If you want to make God smile, tell him your plans". In life, as I'm sure any grandfather would be happy to sit down and tell you, there are too many curve balls. The road winds in directions and patterns we could have never possibly anticipated or imagined traveling or reaching, and in these highs and lows there is so much beauty to be captured, so much to learn about oneself and ones surroundings- how to care for one another, how to contribute to one another- but Bella assures us only through honesty and discernment can ones form develop and spread to create positive influences on one another.

This film received excellent recognition and won many awards including the People's Choice award at the Toronto Film Festival, two awards at the Heartland Film Festival, best picture from MovieGuide, and other awards around the country. I remember the big movie opening being here in Miami Beach, and I think it had something to do with either director Alejandro Monteverde or main character/actor Eduardo Verstegui living here. Both, who by the way did incredible jobs living up to the story told. I was especially impressed with the cinematography, and enjoyed the colors among camera angles used to express and invoke the emotions necessary to get Bella's message across to audience members. Excellent character progression aloud the viewer to develop side by side with actress Tammy Blanchard, as she struggles with a very human and identifiable concern. But I digress; I also remember a lot of catholic community supporters showing up for the event opening and advocating the watching of the film while it was in theatres. The movie actually doesn't play like a christian film, but you can't deny the underlying message and the values expressed.

This film was beautiful, and I implore you to speed over to Best Buy in hopes that they are still offering Bella as one of the sick little 'Sizzlin Summer Movies for Sale' marketing tools used to get people like you and I to eventually buy a bigger t.v. or synthetic cordless keyboard...cause you know, I totally needed one. Hey, at least they don't have Triple X as one of the DVD's for sale. (Believe me, it's not even worth 3.99)

1 comment:

Jorge Costales CPA said...

I rise in defense of reviewing shitty-ass films. A famously uncharitable reviewer of Barbara Streisand once noted:

"Oh, for the gift of Rostand's Cyrano to evoke the vastness of that nose alone as it cleaves the giant screen from east to west, bisects it from north to south. It zigzags across our horizon like a blot of fleshy lightning; it towers like a ziggurat made of meat. The speaking voice continues to sound like Rice Krispies if they could talk."