Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mongol Review


After watching this movie I wanted to be Mongolian. Why you ask? Because apparently, not only is a Mongolian's blood thicker than molasses, but they are also the world's most manliest men. Even the women are stronger than most men. Mongolian children run around large fields and are capable of bringing down full grown elk with their bare hands. BAD. ASS.

Really though, this was a beautiful movie, with an incredible love story we often don't see or here a lot of now a days. If you are a feminist, your self centered overly opinionated vagina will not appreciate the beauty within the complicated relationship between Temudjin and Borte. This is a love story of pure, un-compromiseable, un-conditional love, so much so, it is almost perceived as a farce when compared to the modern day ways of viewing love and marriage.

Borte was portrayed as an incredible woman of character, whose actions, which at times were completely out of self sacrifice, portrayed someone who understood the bigger picture within a situation, who knew that if means met ends, than by all means do what needs to be done. Incredible Ideology from a people who lived in the 12th century. To think men lived by such a code can again be interpreted as a joke, given that today many men stand for nothing and fall for anything.

One of my favorite parts of the movie was when Temudjin chose his wife at the ripe age of 9, only to marry her in another 5 or 6 years. 9 years old people. 9. I was playing with pogs and watching "Are you afraid of the Dark?" at 9, not deciding who my life partner was gonna be for the rest of my existence. Still, there was an essence and understanding of 'certainty' between the un-concenting girl and her chooser. There was an unquestionable seed of 'security' in that the man was going to not only protect his woman, but provide to full capacity. And it was understood between the two they're own roles and mission- that this seed was inevitably destined to grow and flourish into a well nourished family. Instinctual. I mean, hey, it was gonna happen either way so you might as well just get it straight early, right? For me this was one of the most insightful and intriguing aspects of Mongolian culture/ tradition- no questions. No going back. No "pre-nups". No bullshit. You did what you did because it needed to be done. In this case, Its just you, me, and that dowry. Done. Where did we go wrong?


Throughout the film I kept thinking about how today's children are a bunch of (I'm gonna keep it g-rated here in case father McMorality is reading this and use the word) softies. In all my years I have never in my life heard of such a HARDcore childhood as this one. Temudjin puts Drew Barrymore and every other E-true Hollywood child-hood story ever documented to shame. Really, if it all went down as writer/ historian Arif Aliyev portrays it, then I think we need to stop being such (again, for father McMorals) softies and stop putting these kids on so many meds. Mongol taught me that a child can not only survive the occasional ass-whooping and heart wrench, but makes him a stronger man for the future.

This movie also deals heavily with a favorite theme of mine, that is, exile. Exile is an unnatural state of being, and as an audience member i felt sympathy for the main character as he wandered what seemed at times to be aimlessly through what was once his land but what had now become foreign to him. Genghis Khan's true purpose later becomes clear, when he decides to unite all Mongols and make what had become diluted and separate, united and thick once more.

Closing up, just wanted to mention that aesthetically the film is very well balanced and scenery wise, my god- breathe taking- Mongolia really is a magnificent country where one can appreciate and breathe in the full beauty of creation in every frame. Director Sergei Bodrov deserves recognition and more money to continue the cultivation of such works, especially for Mongol- a soon to be film classic- and an all around man movie.

p.s. this is a trilogy so try and stay alive until the next two come out. I now I'll be trying.

2 comments:

Jorge Costales CPA said...

I hope you are getting a commission on this - you sold me on this movie and the director - so much so that I 'netflixed' the director's earlier movie - Nomad - it would be good to know what you thought of that at a later date - to fill out your Bodrov section

angelgrl7342 said...

Touchu,

I think your reviews are insightful and have such depth that I, myself, feel I am immersed in your work just as I was immersed in the brilliant performances in Mongol and Dark Knight.
And I believe that because I saw both movies with you that it is only befitting that you review every movie we have watched together.
In saying that...

Where is your review on Chocolat?!?!?!?!?!